After collaborating with many performance engineers in a RAC database, I have come to realize that there are common pattern among the (mis)diagnosis. This blog about discussing those issues. I talked about this in Hotsos 2014 conference also.
Here are the golden rules of RAC performance diagnostics. These rules may not apply general RAC configuration issues though.
- Beware of top event tunnel vision
- Eliminate infrastructure as an issue
- Identify problem-inducing instance
- Review send-side metrics also
- Use histograms, not just averages
Looks like, this may be better read as a document. So, please use the pdf files of the presentation and a paper. Presentation slide #10 shows indepth coverage on gc buffer busy* wait events. I will try to blog about that slide later (hopefully).
Scripts mentioned in the presentation can be downloaded here.